This salad is one I make weekly in our house, especially in summer when you want something a bit lighter for dinner. You can also make a big batch and it is great for lunches.
- 1 cup uncooked couscous (I use whole wheat but either is fine)
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cucumber
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes
- vegetable stock cube
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 large sweet potato
- juice from 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
1. Cook your couscous according to the package. Usually 1/1 couscous to boiling water, add in a crumbled veg stock cube and cover for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff it up, leave to cool.
2. While your couscous is cooking, chop a sweet potato into cubes and stick it in the oven on 200C for 30 minutes or until cooked through. When it comes out sometimes I toss the cubes in a bit of maple syrup or you can add oil while cooking for a crispier potato. Leave to cool.
3. Chop your red onion and garlic nice and small. I like to use pretty small chunks of cuc and halved cherry tomatoes. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them in with your veg.
4. Once your couscous and sweet potato have cooled, mix everything together and add your lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Keep tasting and add more garlic, salt or pepper to suit your tastes.
I really like to add a big glob of hummus and some sweet chili sauce to the top of this salad. You can serve it with romaine leaves, chopped or as a wrap kinda thing!