This is one of my most frequently used recipes. It has been in my weekly rotation for a good few years now and I just cannot seem to get sick of it. A massive bonus that it is super healthy and my body seems to crave the lentil spinach combo year round.
Makes 3 – 4 portions (depending on how much you eat… 3 in my house)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 6 cups spinach – I use about 3/4 of a bag
- 1 small onion
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp garam marsala
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 inch chunk of ginger – chopped
- chili flakes or hot sauce to taste
- salt to taste
- mango chutney (optional, but not really)
- Mince onion and cook about 3 minutes with a bit of water or oil. Add minced ginger and garlic, cook another minute. Throw the spices in and let them heat up for 30 seconds. Pour in chopped tomatoes and let them cook for 3- 5 minutes on medium. Stir in coconut milk and water, bring to a boil. Add lentils and simmer, on low for 20 minutes, Stirring often.
- Chop spinach and add it to the mixture after 18 minutes of cooking time and let simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and hot sauce if you want some heat. Taste as you go.
- Serve on rice or whatever you like. Pile on that chutney.
I have been loving this as a post run meal during marathon training. It is also perfect for a cooler day as a hearty way to warm up at the end of the day.