In this series I am sharing my favourite veganized recipes for traditional holiday foods, and today I’ve got everyones favourite vegetable, brussels sprouts!
I really did not like these one bit as a child but once I got over the smell and gave them a chance, I became a convert. They are easy to prepare, very nutritious and give a holiday plate a nice bit of much needed green.
Though brussels sprouts are probably the most likely dish to be vegan already I just thought I would share my very simple cooking method, perfect if you are looking for an alternative to boiling them and stinking up the house;
- brussels sprouts trimmed and cut in half
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 175 C.
- Place washed, trimmed and halved sprouts into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, add salt, pepper and minced garlic. Toss around until mixed.
- Spread sprout mixture on a baking tray, on some parchment for easy cleaning.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, checking periodically to make sure they are not getting too crispy. (…or not, I like the crispy bits)
- Remove from oven when they are cooked through and have golden brown edges. Add a bit more salt and squeeze lemon over top before serving.
I know there is a lot of different foods on your plate at Christmas dinner but it is always good to have a green vegetable in there to make yourself feel healthy.