Since the weather is slowly getting better and more summer-like, I thought I would post my go to salad dressing recipe. I have to admit, I am not big on salads and don’t eat them as often as I should (which I’m sure you will have noticed if you follow me on instagram.) But with this dressing I actually enjoy having a large salad for dinner, so it must be magic.
This recipe will make enough for two larger, well dressed salads.
- 1/2 cup cashews (raw is probably better, but I have used roasted ones and they work just fine)
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp tahini (if you don’t have any to hand, still tastes great without it)
- salt and pepper
- Soak you cashews for a few hours in warm water. If you have a high power Vitamix style blender I am very jealous and you can skip this step.
- Drain your cashews and put them in the blender with your garlic, squeezed lemon juice, and half of your water. Blend this up until it is creamy. Add the rest of the water if it’s too thick or not blending.
- Add your nutritional yeast, tahini, salt and pepper. Blend it together, and add more s&p as you need it.
Super easy right. I like to have this on romaine lettuce, with croutons, (fancy word for toasted bits of bread) and either some Quorn hot and spicy vegan burgers sliced up, or some baked tofu. (simple bonus recipe at the bottom)
This is also a good recipe to make ahead of time and in large batches. It is very versatile and if you have some left over it also works well to bring some creamy-ness into any pasta dish.
Going to a BBQ and need to bring something? I have served this to vegans and non vegans alike and was enjoyed by all. 🙂
**Easy baked tofu: Turn the oven onto 150C. Drain and cut your tofu block into slices. Coat both slices of tofu with tahini and sprinkle with nooch. Put the slices on parchment so they don’t stick (or a greased baking trey) and put them in the oven for 20-25 minutes. I usually let them cool then cut them into smaller pieces to put on my salad.