Lasagne is one of those things that seems difficult to make, especially when you are talking about a vegan lasagne, but it can be done very simply and still taste delicious. It is a great dish to make when you have friends coming over, because everyone loves lasagne, and you can make it beforehand and just stick it in the oven and not have to hang around in the kitchen. It also makes for yummy lunches through the week if you are making it for just yourself.
This recipe requires 3 components, one of them being store bought (as well as the noodles) but feel free to make your own tomato sauce from scratch if you have the time and patience.
1 500g packet of lasagne noodles
2 large jars of your fav tomato sauce
2 blocks tofu
4-6 cloves of garlic
1/2 lemons worth of juice
1/3 cup nutritional yeast (plus more to sprinkle on top)
salt and pepper
1 bag of spinach
2 cups mushrooms (approximately – use as many as you want really)
2-3 extra tomatoes to make it look pretty
Preheat oven to 200C
- Crumble up your tofu blocks into a blender, add water about half way up, add lemon juice, garlic, nooch and salt to taste. Blend that up, adding more water if you need it. It should be a bit thinner than pancake batter.
- Chop your mushrooms and spinach, lightly sauté them in a fry pan.
- You are ready to start layering! Put a little of your tomato sauce along the bottom of a large baking pan, then put your noodles on in a flat layer covering the surface of the pan. Pour 1/3 of your tofu sauce on and spread it evenly, same goes for your mushies and spinach then more tomato sauce. Repeat until you run out of noodles. Try to save a little sauce to put on the top layer. Don’t worry if it is looking like there is too much liquid, the noodles will absorb all that.
- Cover the pan with tin foil and put it in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Cut the tomatoes into thin slices, at the 35 minute mark, remove the foil and add the top tomatoes and a sprinkling of nooch. Put it all back into the oven, un covered, for 15 – 20 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes and Eat!
This lasagne is surprisingly filling because of the tofu sauce. It’s pretty hard to mess this one up so if you are a beginner in the kitchen, its a good one to try. I (hugely) simplified a recipe from Chloe’s Vegan Italian Kitchen cookbook (which I highly recommend!)